Friday, July 6, 2007

100 Wishes Quilt




百家被 THE BAI JIA BEI, or "100 GOOD WISHES QUILT" CUSTOM
To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the Northern part of China, to make a Bai Jia Bei, or "100 Good Wishes Quilt." Traditionally 100 squares of fabric are donated for the quilt, by family and friends. Much of the time, the squares were scraps from their worn clothing and is said that the LUCK, ENERGY and GOOD WISHES of the people who wore these clothes now surrounds the child when he/she is wrapped in the quilt. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.


We are making a 100 Wishes Quilt for Julia and Grace(name still undecided). I am on a group that swaps squares but I also would like to ask my friends and family for fabric squares. If you would like to participate, please send 2 8 by 8 inch fabric squares to me, one for Julia and one for Grace. The fabric can be anything you would like,it can even be cut from clothing. On an index card or similiar card please write a special wish for the child. It can be a bible verse, a prayer, a saying, or anything you want. Make sure you include your name on the card so they will know who each quilt square is from. Also, cut a small sample of the fabric and attach to the card. I will be making a book out of the wish/fabric card. Later,I will post a picture so you will know what I am talking about. I would love to be able to include you in Grace and Julia's quilt. It will be cherished item for both girls.

For those of you who know I can't sew, don't worry, there are lots of people who will do this for me.

1 comment: