Monday, May 27, 2013

In Route to San Francisco- May 25

We are about 4 hours into our journey home. Surprisingly the boys have done really well. I may or may not have given them Benedryl. Jacob is fast asleep and Caleb is eating again.

We got off to a late start so we are about an hour behind schedule. That's okay because we have a 6 hour layover in SFO.

We landed in SFO and went through customs and immigration. Only a minor incidence when an officer tried to tell me I needed to apply for a Green Card for both of them. The boys were American citizens when we landed on US soil so I knew he was wrong. Went to officer that processed adoptions, took about 10 minutes and we were on our way.

Ate lunch, hung around the airport for several hours, and the boys played on a little playground.

We went to board our plane to RDU and Jacob lost it. No Benadryl left. I knew the only way to calm him down was to get him settled on the plane. One of the ladies with United told me I needed to calm him down that he was disturbing all the other people. I told her needed to get settled on the plane. She said I needed to give him candy and walk around with him. Wish at that point I would have asked her if she had children. I tried explaining to her that we had been traveling for 24 hours and he was exhausted. Didn't work she just kept on and then went off in a huff saying if he didn't stop she was taking us off the plane. By this time I was in tears and begging God to help me calm him down on the plane. Thank goodness he stopped crying and fell asleep for takeoff. Caleb and him took turns crying the whole way home. Zachary and I often stood taking turns rocking them. Felt like everyone was starring at us and judging us. Many had heard the exchange with the United worker. Not even one person on the plane had a kind word to say. It was the longest 4 1/2 hours of my life but we survived.

We landed at RDU about 11:30 pm. So happy to see Dallas and the kids. They had banners, balloons, and flowers. Of course I was in tears, the last leg of the journey had gotten to me.

Photos: Hong Kong airport and new American citizens



2 comments:

  1. I'm so gald you are home. I wish I could have been one of the passangers and at the least given you kind word. I will make sure to go out of my way to support families with children on planes. I have been where you were at. It's no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I am sorry you had such an awful time with United. I told my husband that I would pay extra to avoid United at any cost, I have never had a pleasant flight with them, but sometimes you have no choice! Praying for you as you settle in with your two new ones :)

    ReplyDelete